Monday, May 15, 2006

Tech Notes: Setup

Tech Notes: Setup
Kronos asked me to describe tech side of this vid work. Here is a start:
Vid capture Fraps
Free version available. I use the registered version ($37).

Vid editing: Windows Movie Maker.
Free with Windows. Adequate for most purposes. I may need a better editor later.

Audio Capture and Editing. Audacity
I use Audacity rather than the built-in narration feature of Win Movie Maker. Audacity lets me build and edit the audio. I can cut out some sounds and mumbles. I can cut in sound effects. I use the sound effects for atmosphere and to fill those long pauses where I didn't know what to say. Free, open source.

Sound effects, source: FindSounds
You can search for sounds by name. Page shows the wave file and lets you play/download files. After download, I use Audacity to convert them the form required by SL.

Still Image editing. The Gimp
Free, open source. Win Movie lets me turn a selected frame into .jpg. I can edit that in the Gimp and put it back into the vid, specifying a run time.

Microphone
I am using a lapel mike that I got along with a Creative Web Cam. Seems to do the job.

Graphics board: NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5700

Storage: I am using a USB2 drive with 120GB. I easily filled my C: drive with 35GB of .avi files. Now I routinely transfer all new clips to the USB disk as soon as I get them.

Kronos sent me this link to a camera test he did. http://oncameraintensive.com/SL/SL_tst.mov

It shows interesting special effects. I have generally held to standard SL view over head of av. That’s because I am doing voice over (narrate scene or stream-of-consciousness) as coming from av. So the av is a character in the story. I am introducing some special effects from time to time.

In “Hard Out There” I opened with a wide swoop shot on the av. With av seated on beer case, the viewpoint comes loose. I could get the view that Hollywood could only get with a crane. The shot lets me say that TM is sitting there alone in the Village, then swoop in on TM. Feeling lonely, like somebody waiting for Godot. That’s the mood I want to establish. And to break. I don’t think I did it all that well. But I may get it right later,

The next vid, to be posted in a day or so, will illustrate zoom. I will post on that after it is out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home