Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Anyone for audio?

As I looked at Anya’s suggestions, my tooth fairy reminded me of another item on my wish list.   Those vids will probably require introspective narration.  In a female voice.  Probably with appropriate emotion.  
My tooth fairy is looking for a way to incorporate audio files from other people in the vid sound.  Here are the parts that I think I can handle:
Given an audio file (.wav or .mp3, probably others) of length to fit, I can put it in the audio track at the right place.  
To help in preparation of the file, I can give the length (e.g.30 Sec.).  If cues are needed, I can send jpegs at given time points.  That probably would be in seconds, with some margin for error.    If we have cue critical vids, I can post a preliminary version on YouTube, with my narration.  Speaker could watch vid and do live voiceover for all or part of vid.  I could them make a new track, remake the vid and post version 2.
I could take down the first version if needed.  I would be inclined to leave it up. We are making sausage here and some of the steps will not be pretty.  But I am as interested in showing people how to make sausage as I am in a pretty result.   Give somebody a sausage and you just give them breakfast.  Show them how to make sausage and you can flood the market with sausage.  (A metaphor can get you in trouble if you follow it too long.)
The rest of the job is at the speakers place.  I use Audacity.  It is free, easy to learn, and powerful.  The one thing it does not do is export to mp3.  I have a Creative Laps Muvo.  Software that came with it transcodes from .wav to .mp3, so that’s how Ido it.  I think other mp3 players would have similar software, particularly if the have a recording capability.  
I could work with a .wav file.  But some people might run into file size limits.  Since this is voice, we don’t need much fidelity, so we might get small enough files by cutting the sample rate.  There are various programs to transcode as we need, but I don’t know enough about them to offer suggestions.  
I am sure we can solve all he problems, so let’s start thinking about voice over and voice acting the vids.  That will give us a reason to solve the problems.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home