Thursday, May 18, 2006

BRIDGES: SHEDIT NOTES

Bridges: Shedit notes
Starting a brand new tradition here.  (I like new traditions better than old ones.)  The Bridges vid is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYyiJEtb58Y.  New tradition:  When I post a vid, I will also post whatI learned in the Shoot and Edit job.  This may help other people who are thinking about shooting vids.
Opening: I wanted a special effect to make the scene look like a painting.  Couldn’t get it from the effects offered in Win MM.  Maybe they would do in a close up.  I clipped out a frame as .jpg and worked with it in the GIMP.  That has more effects, including the “Add Canvass” option.  I liked the result of that, so I put it at the opening.  Conveniently, I could adjust the display time as I needed.  (Timing on the first part was mainly to fit the voice over.
Lady in White. Now I know I should have done a zoom to medium here.   Get better view of crying anim, avoid seeing that her train partly falls through the bridge surface, focus more strongly on her as she stands by the post.  I also think, when we reshoot it for the episode, we will want it at sunset. I will also want to rework my voice over.  I think I sounded to much like a news promo:  “What is the poison you might be feeding your family at supper?  Tune in at ten for the details.”  
Boy Fishing.   I liked what we did on this.  I did use zoom here.  (For newcomers, that is hold down alt, hold down left mouse key, move mouse.)  This time I could cut out what I learned.  The boy tried to get close to the edge and fell off.  I will make a transparent bar and place it as needed to stop the av on the mark.   I think I may make other transparent prims to use as stage marks.  Actor can turn on “highlight transparent”  to use them.
I didn’t want to talk while the boy was fishing, so I dropped in a boat horn and water lapping to fill the time.  
Bobby Joe.  One problem with this scene was that the horse did not trot well in side view (as captures on vid).  There may have been a timing interaction with the frame rate and the animation.  I cut out the first side view trot and started as the horse exited center stage.  Next time I will avoid side views or use the side rails to screen the leg movements.
The cut also cut into my narration time, so I overlapped the scenes.  While the boy was standing I had an unseen horse trot by on the audio track.  I also used the dissolve-appear trick here.  With the camera still I dissolved from empty bridge to horse trotting.  I think it worked  adequately to show that this is imaginary.  
When the horse reached the end of the bridge, I zoomed in on him.  The zoom attaches the viewpoint to the av, so when BJ jumped, the camera followed all the way down to the submerged boxcar.  
I liked seeing the boxcar so much that I had to figure out how to use it without committing the story to the jump.  You can see how I handled that (without mentioning Schrödinger’s cat).  I followed BJ off the bridge to give more emphasis to the walk away than to the jump.  Jump is short but dramatic.  Walk away is calm, but lasts longer.  
Close.  Return to picture and main theme is example of closure.  I generally want to end scenes that way.  I have not done it with the ad hoc vids.  But for the ones we will script, I will want to have an ending that ties to the opening.  And, except for the last episode, ties to the next episode.  
----All life is art.  It is just that not all people appreciate art.---  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home