Sunday, June 04, 2006

Stories: Tech Notes

Stories. I mean the kind of things we are planning to do with Lady in White and Boy Fishing. A story has an opening, main character, character development in the middle, and closure. Character development means you get to know the character and the character changes. And you don’t do stories in one try. At least I don’t. None of the vids I have done so far qualify as stories.

The Bridges vid is potentially an introduction to stories. And I don’t figure we’ve done it in one try. I figure that after we do some of the stories, we’ll go back and redo the introduction.

Now about those takes and retakes. I assume that the first take is rehearsal. I assume that I post it, we look at it and see how we could do it better. After we think we have enough improvements, we do it again. Since I have the original clips, I will generally be able to reuse any content we like. I can re-cut the original and we need. That will work only if the scenery has not changed and we are using stored avatars.

Similar comments apply to audio. I can use audio done by someone else. In whole or in parts. I suspect I can use audio in any likely format, but we would want to do a test with some things. I know I can use .mp3 and .wav. After the first post, someone else could make new audio for the whole thing or for particular scenes. I’m hoping that Kronos will do voice acting for us. Maybe some of his students will also be interested.

I don’t think these stories will work well with just my voice-over. Other devices I think we could use:

>Stream of thought: from the head of the character (not necessarily done by the person who performs the avatar.)
>Head voices: Second person voices in the head of the character. These need to be done in appropriate voice (child, wife, parent. Etc.).
>Letter: read by plausible reader (sender or recipient).
>Narrative from character: essentially what I have been doing, but with a different voice. And done better than I do it.

Ideally, each vid (about six minutes) would be a story. A more extensive story might be told by a series of several vids. We still will want to have the story elements in each vid, but the closure needs to be forward-looking. Example: ending of the first Starfleet vid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home