Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Tech Notes: Avatar’s Guide

My latest vid, “Here Be Dragons,” includes a new gimmick, so I’ll explain it here. I got some good raw vid of dragon. And my dragons stories seem to be popular. So I wanted to make it into a finished vid. But I didn’t want to reuse the same (newsman) treatment. So I used and idea from Douglas Adams. (The secret of creativity is to draw on good sources.)

The result is the Avatar’s Guide to Reality, as introduced in the vid. I expect it will be a recurring character. Let’s me break up the narrative. Also fits in well with SL. I am making an object with the same image. I will carry it in later vids. I will also make it into an Easter Egg, with audio clips from the vid, an audio player script, and a note card with instructions on how to put you own clips in it. I will leave that somewhere in Hobo Village. One of the interesting things about doing these vids is that the audience can later visit the set and take a copy of the props.

I read the guide script myself (using standard voice projection and pompous enunciation), then use Audacity to drop the frequency from F to D and reshape to fft to boost the low and high frequencies. The sound I am trying for is the one you get from movie projectors when they show and instructional movie in class.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home