Friday, July 21, 2006

Cut-away shots and glance shots

Kronos: You’ve probably thought about this but since I didn’t see it in the blog entry I thought it might be worth mentioning how valuable cut away shots can be.

A cut away is a shot which does not include the actor or only a small detail of the actor. It might be a close up of an object or a shot of the scenery, something that relates to the story.

SE: No, I had not thought if it. I did pick up a related idea from the Lip Flap vid. The dialog mentions a missing shoe. The lady looks down and the camera shows the feet that she sees. I will call this a glance shot (maybe there is a standard name). This is a storyteller’s concept. It is used to help tell the story. I did put one of those in the shot list, a shot of the letter on the seat of the car. That was after I realized that the visual letter has a big role at the end and should be established visually at the beginning.

I see the value of both kinds of shots and will rework the shot list to include them in the schema I am using for shot lists in SL video work. I am taking the view that glance shots are important in telling the story, while cut-away shots are mainly to help the video editing by covering transitions. The can also help in time adjustments since you have some flexibility in the time the stay on the screen.

We will particularly want cut-away shots in shots 1 and 2 because the car is hard to control and we will need to cover its wanderings. We may also save ourselves time by using the driver’s POV of scenery passing. The timing on the first two scenes is driven by the time it takes for the voices in head to establish the story situation. So we don’t have to show the car all the time. I can fly down the road and collect the moving scenery.

As Kronos says, the shots are easy at the time of the shoot. And it you go back later, the scenery may have changed.

I will go back and edit my the existing posts, rather than post new versions. That way there is only one version, the most current.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home