Thursday, July 20, 2006

New Kid on the Blog

Xenon Darrow will be joining us on this blog. Xenon has been featured on my last 2 vids. Now she plans to take a big role in the Easter Egg product line. She will probably appear as Marta Stewpot, someone who could show us how to make picture frames out of old newspapers and coffee grounds. For the present, however, she will focus on building a fire under our EEggs.

First, I will review my vision for the EEggs line. This is for Xenon especially, but I hope for ideas from everybody. An EEgg is simply an object publicly available, free to copy, and offering something of interest or value to newcomers in SL. I have put some around Hobo village. The EEgg line of vids is intended to promote creative uses of SL by providing the relevant assets in an Easter Egg and using the vid to illustrate how to use them creatively.

My original vid in this line illustrates what I have in mind. The teaching objective was to give students the following abilities:
>>Copy a free-to-copy object.
>>Rez a copied object in a chosen location
>>Edit a rezed object into a preferred orientation and position.
>>Drop a texture (image) onto the object
>>Adjust the shape of the object and the texture positioning to display the image as desired.

I realize now that I tried to cover too much. I should have listed the objectives before doing the vid. Then I would have seen that this list is too long for a 6 min. vid. A more effective presentation, for example, would have been to do the copy-res-place objectives about three times. The first demo (take some fire, place it in the bandstand) was good. And was repeated at the end. That is a good pattern for learning and gives good closure at the end. But the instruction would have been more effective if I had repeated the pattern with two other examples, assuming that I could have found two other interesting examples.

The general pattern, then, is to pick some simple skill set that can produce a interesting result. Then design about three examples of how to produce that result. Any needed assets would be in the Easter Egg. The vid would open with Marta announcing what she is ging to show us, going to the Easter Egg (in Hobo Village), taking it, and rezzing it in some way that makes an interesting story.

My first candidate for the new Marta’s New Egg Show is to give the student these abilities:
>>Copy free-to-copy object. (Avoid assuming that the viewer has seen the previous vids.)
>>Attach a copied object to your av in some interesting way.
An example that I will probably use to close this show: Sam the Sham (see my latest vid) attaches fire to his back, then runs off the set and into the nearby water as if really on fire.

Xenon has installed Audacity and is able to make voice clips. She and I will work together on the script (probably using Skype). Then she will do Marta and I will do Sam. We will make a shot list and a tentative script for each shot. The reading time will probably drive the shot length. Then we will take the vid. If necessary, I will post the vid on YouTube as private. She can then voice her part while viewing the vid. I will do the same with my part.

It is not easy to match the timing on the vid to the timing on the audio. (For now, I am glad the lips don’t move.) I am still working on that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home